The Burlington, VT “Dirty 17”: Walk Mode Injury Generating Intersections 2011-2014
During the 2011-2014 period, 17 Burlington intersections generated on average 0.9 walk mode injury crashes yearly. Of the “dirty 17”, 13 were signalized with at least two with the highest technical designs with a dedicated pedestrian phase, and four were stop controlled. Every one of the five intersections along South Winooski Avenue parallel and accessing the Marketplace made the “dirty 17” list.
Any of these intersections replaced by a single lane roundabout (or mini roundabout) which reduces walk mode injures by about 90 percent, would drop one injury a year predicted to one injury per decade as well as a reduction in injury severity. The corollary: replacing a roundabout with a signal or sign control on average will increase pedestrian injuries by about 800%. Injuries recorded 2011-2014 are in parenthesis. Any intersection recording more than one pedestrian injury a decade (except those in the Marketplace area bounded by Battery St./Main St./Pearl St./So. Winooski Ave. and a few others) needs to be of special concern and if feasible converted to a roundabout. Further, the South Winooski Avenue intersections parallel to the Marketplace demand attention and part of any improvements to those intersections for pedestrian safety should include speed management designs.
The intersections along South Winooski Avenue between Pearl and Main Streets certainly have both a heavy volume of vehicles and pedestrians crossing. The Murray St./North St. crossing is noteworthy (as is Shelburne St. “rotary”) for bordering elementary school grounds.
- So. Winooski Ave./Bank St. (6)
- Archibald St./Intervale St. (5)
- So. Winooski Ave./College St. (5)
- So. Winooski Ave./Main St. (5)
- Main St./St. Paul St. (5) Kaye Borneman, 43, driving vehicle, in fatal crash 2010.
- Riverside Ave.--Intervale St. to Hill St. (4)
- North St./near Murray St. (4)
- No. Prospect St./Loomis St. (4)
- No. Winooski Ave./Pearl St. (4)
- So. Winooski Ave./Cherry St. (3)
- No. Winooski Ave./North St. (3)
- Pine St./Lakeside Ave. (3)
- Colchester Ave./Barrett St. (2) Bruce “Sam” Lapointe, of Winooski, fatally injured on Barrett St. crosswalk 2012.
- Colchester Ave./East Ave. (2)
- Pine St./Locust St. (2) Critical injury 2014 on “rapid flashing beacon” (installed about a year before) crosswalk.
- Shelburne St. “Rotary” (2)
- Shelburne St./Home Ave. (2) Linda Ente, 48, Winooski, supermarket employee, fatally injured on crosswalk 1998.Note: injury data from draft documents of the Burlington walk bike master plan process planBTV Walk Bike.